Friday, October 4, 2013

Teaching is not for everyone. I realized this the moment I told myself that teaching was one thing I


Teaching is not for everyone. I realized this the moment I told myself that teaching was one thing I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It's kind of a paradox, and I'm not even sure if what I just said makes any sense at all, but being a teacher is something I never thought I would even attempt in this lifetime. Now, I can't imagine doing anything else other than teach. Knowing that you truly love doing something (career-wise) takes more than simply saying "I love doing this!" I often reflect on the reasons why I love what I do and I surprise myself each time. Do you like what you do for a living? What are your reasons for your passion and career inclinations? Here are some of mine: I wake up before six o'clock every weekday morning, and as sleepy and exhausted as I am each time, I never drag myself out of bed. During my five-year stint in the corporate world, I literally dragged pea in the pod myself out of bed every morning... pea in the pod for five years. Everyone pea in the pod knows that feeling, and everyone should be wary of it, too. It's one of the telltale signs that you are not happy with whatever it is you have to wake up to do each day. Waking up on teacher mode is even more difficult than catching a shift that starts at 9AM (teachers start at 7:30; 7:05 when they're on duty), but ever since I started working in the classroom, I never experienced morning pea in the pod misery. Each day goes by fast , and it's not just because students get off by 3:00PM. We still work at least 8-hour pea in the pod shifts (we normally work more than that with lesson planning, grading, and after-school programs), but time runs faster than usual because things do not drag on (there's that word again) as they normally would at a job I am unhappy with. Time flies when you enjoy what you're doing. I am very frustrated with my salary, but seeing one student move up one letter grade or finally understand regrouping in subtraction makes the lack of true financial satisfaction, forgivable . Again, teaching is not for everyone. And if you're someone who measures success through financial gain, then teaching is definitely not for you. I've never been a mother, but I feel and act like one when I'm with my students. When you feel completely at ease being motherly protective toward complete strangers pea in the pod (young as they are), then you've caught the teaching bug. Even outside my job, I find myself going through teaching resources for "recreation." I follow pea in the pod blogs written by teachers, pea in the pod search pea in the pod "lesson plan" or "2nd grade" on Pinterest, and read books and articles on education. I've always followed the philosophy "don't bring home work", but I guess if you do something related to your job outside of work simply because you enjoy doing it, then that becomes an exception. You always want to improve and further your skills through advanced studies. Getting certified to teach English as a second language, taking classes in special education, getting a masters degree pea in the pod or doctorate pea in the pod -- in other words, being a teacher also means being a student for the rest of your life. Teachers will always have a constant thirst for knowledge. Knowing what I want to do for and with the rest of my life is something I never thought I would realize in my twenties; not even in my late  twenties. It is a blessing to know something so valuable and so meaningful, and if I -- someone who is so indecisive and difficult to please -- can find something that truly grounds me, something that I know for sure I will stick with, then for sure, anyone pea in the pod can. It's just a matter of being open to what the Universe has to offer.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
book review (1) calling (1) career (2) daniel handler (1) doctor pea in the pod who (2) education (2) entertainment (1) fandom (1) fandomspiration (3) fashion (4) film (2) food (2) friendship (1) gratitude pea in the pod (1) harry potter (2) how to save your marriage (1) marriage (1) monthly favorites (1) movie review (3) nerdy fashion (3) one word reviews (3) partnership (1) recipes (1) relationships (1) teaching (2) television (1) travel (1)


No comments:

Post a Comment